How does castor oil work?
- Calming positive influence on the nervous system
- Increases lymph flow and drainage
- Strengthens the immune system (increase T cell count)
- Increases digestive ability and detoxifies the liver
- It works through the skin to reduce inflammation, edema and pain
Castor oil when applied topically to the abdomen is absorbed through the skin into the tissues below. The heat applied helps to drive the castor oil into deeper layers. The castor oil increases both lymphocyte production and increases the circulation of the lymphatic system.
The lymphatic system is like the sewer system of the body. Toxins, infections, metals, dead cells and debris from all over the body are collected and cleaned up by the lymphatic system then brought to the liver for filtering and emptied out the colon. When our lymphatic system is not working effectively, waste and toxins can build up, this can lead to depressed immune system, inefficient bowel movements, worsening food sensitivities, ultimately leading to inflammation and disease.
Therefore, castor oil packs can increase lymphatic drainage, detoxify the body, strengthen the immune system, improve bowel movements, reduce food sensitivities, decrease inflammation, prevent disease and enhance overall health.
What does castor oil help when used topically?
- Liver detoxification
- Joint pain, sprains and strains
- Low back pain
- IBS or IBD
- Constipation, gas and bloating
- Fibrocystic breasts
- PMS pain
- Uterine cysts
- Skin rejuvenation
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Castor Oil (cold-pressed, hexane-free)
- Piece of thick flannel
- Plastic, large enough to cover the flannel cloth (plastic bags are OK) OR a specific castor oil pack wrap
- Heating pad, with a low setting
Method: (NOTE – castor oil stains easily so be mindful with sheets and use clothing you don’t mind getting stains on)
- Drizzle the castor oil over the flannel (so that it can cover the area being treated)
- Place flannel on the area being treated
- Cover with plastic (cut one – two inches larger than flannel) or the wrap
- Place heating pad over plastic and set on low heat for 30-60 minutes
- Rest while the pack is on for best results
- After removal, cleanse the area with water or with water and baking soda
- The castor oil pack should be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator and may be reused numerous times
- Apply the pack at least five of seven days (or as directed by your healthcare practitioner)